Monday, July 29, 2013

Hang Ten Failures

Today is Monday of my last week in Peru. WHAT?! I will be getting on a plane in just 5 short days. That seems pretty crazy. This trip has had its ups and downs with homesickness and tiredness and crazy schedules and that one time when I got robbed and also the beauty and history and adventure that exists in Peru. As incredibly happy as I will be to go home, I will also be sad. I like you, Peru. Let's stay friends.

Okay, so I got robbed. I didn't really want to post about it because I know that other people read this sometimes and I didn't want you to get nervous for me. Here's the thing. I was in a bad part of Lima because that's where I work. There are poor people there. It was scary and a little violent, but no one was hurt or even threatened. I was waiting for a bus with one of my fellow volunteers when three guys ran up to me, broke the strap on my purse, and ran off. My wallet was lost, but the only valuable thing in there was some cash and my debit card, which was set to expire at the end of the month anyway. The thing that makes me the most sad is that the book that I bought at the book fair and had signed by Daniel Alarcon was in my bag. It's not of any value to those guys, just to me. So that's sad. I still have my cheap Peruvian cell phone and my credit card was at home in my desk drawer, so everything is fine. It's just annoying and it happens all the time. I was in shock for about 15 minutes but as soon as I had to talk to someone about it I cried for about 40 minutes. Anyway, the important thing is that I'm fine and I have money to get me through the rest of my time here.

That was on Wednesday before work. After work, we had to go straight to our elap meeting with all the other volunteers in our program. I got free Starbucks! Afterwards, we went to get dinner at a little place right outside La Plaza San Miguel. They had anticucho which is barbecued cow heart for 12 soles. It was super cheap and a lot of food. Super good.

Friday I finally got my credit card figured out and went to Miraflores and wandered around Parque Kennedy by myself. It was nice. I ride through there on a bus everyday but never get out, so it was good to get to do that. I bought a book and a couple shirts to wear when I get home and a new wallet. It was good (cheap) retail therapy.

On Saturday I went surfing! Michelle, Danielle and I met in the morning and took the bus to Larcomar in Miraflores. We made our way down to the beach, not really knowing what to expect. We took our swimsuits with us in our bags so we ended up having to change in a porta potty. Gross. As soon as we stepped foot on the beach a guy was asking us if we wanted to learn to surf. He was going to offer us a great deal. We told him we would come back after we checked out the other companies. We made our way to the Pukana surf tent. This was the company recommended by our program. One of the girls who worked there is from Cincinnati! Small world. So we got an even better deal with them. It was cold so we had to wear wetsuits which is cool except that they are super hard to put on. We had a quick lesson on land about how to stand up on your board. The instructor made me do it extra. I was pretty sure that was a bad sign. Then we got our boards and got in the water. Somehow I ended up in front of my friends even though I got in last. Maybe the instructor was pushing me. I don't remember. But I had to go first. On my first try I was able to get up on my knees. It was exciting and fun! Much easier than expected. However, getting on your knees is not one of the steps to standing. Even after the instructor reminded me many many times that I was not supposed to get on my knees, I still did it every time. I don't know what was happening in my brain, but it was not correct. Between the near constant paddling and getting knocked off my board a few times, I was really really tired by the end. They never told us how to get out. The beach was really rocky so we weren't supposed to ride our boards all the way there. I got knocked off my board right by the shore so I just tried swimming it and had a wave crash right on top of me. Not a great experience. I was ready to be done. But I would do it again. Just maybe next time in the sand. And when it's warmer. And after my muscles stop being sore.

After we finished, Michelle's dad met us at the beach and drove us to Parque Kennedy where we got hot chocolate and churros rellenos from Manolo. SO GOOD. We also got sandwiches in the park. Later that night, I got ice cream at 4D for the third time with some other friends. It was a sugary day. 

July 28 is the independence day of Peru. Basically, people take off work for the whole weekend. I don't have to work today (Monday) or tomorrow (Tuesday). Honestly, I'm a little bored because most things are closed and I don't really want to go to a 3 hour long military parade. Tomorrow should be better. I have plans to go to a museum and a church. And then I will only be 4 days away from coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment