Monday, June 17, 2013

Swimsuits, donuts, and Harold

I just got back yesterday from the Amazon Rainforest. Yeah, I know. 

Highlights include:

Bottle feeding baby manatees

Swimming in the Amazon

Meeting natives

Holding a baby caiman

Fishing for and eating piranhas

Seeing bullet ants, polka dot frogs, sloths, and pink dolphins


So now that you know the highlights, I want to tell you about our adventure Thursday night, before leaving. I forgot to bring a swimsuit to Perú. This was a terrible mistake. It is winter here so no one is selling swimsuits. But I keep seeing activities that might require a swimsuit. Like surfing. And hot springs. And swimming in the Amazon. 

A group of like 8 of us went shopping at La Plaza San Miguel, but it turned out to be a mall just like the States. With prices similar to or higher than those in the states. And the guy at the department store told me I wouldn't be able to find a swimsuit in all of Lima. He was wrong. I found a few at Rip Curl but they were over 200 soles, so almost $100. I guess in a way he was right. I decided to just wear shorts and a tank top in the Amazon. 

Basically we wandered a bit because in a group that big it is hard to agree on what to do, especially while shopping. We went to Dunkin Donuts for a bit. That was kind of nice. And then we decided to see a movie. The first choice was "Que pasa ayer?" or "The Hangover 3." Luckily we went with "El Hombre de Acero" or "The Man Of Steel" also known as the new Superman movie. We were super excited to hear how they dubbed everyone's voices into Spanish, but it ended up just having Spanish subtitles. Apparently the movie came out in the States on Thursday at midnight so I saw it a few hours earlier than all of you were able to even think about seeing it!

After the movie ended we all piled into a cab (obviously not all 8 of us, one was meeting a friend there), crammed 6 in the back and went on our way. We had to keep hiding from the police because that is illegal and since 5 guys escaped from the prison police were everywhere. Anyway, it turns out the cab driver can speak english really well and is a student at another university downtown. He is a student in the morning, teaches in the afternoon, and drives a cab at night. His name was Harold and he gave us his number if we ever need anything. We probably spent way more time in his cab than we should have because we gave bad directions, but it was a good time and we tipped him a lot.

So that all happened BEFORE I went to the rainforest. In an effort to keep posts short and keep your attention I will write about the rainforest in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment